Farm Shop: 01202 880 618 Parlour Café: 01202 857 131 Butchers: 01202 857 137
Pamphill Dairy Farm Shop & Parlour Café, Pamphill, Wimborne, BH21 4ED
Pamphill Dairy is own and managed by the Richards family who have a 150 years heritage in Dorset Farming passed down through generations.
The Pamphill Dairy Farm Shop and Parlour Café as it stands today was opened in 1980 when Joyce who was responsible for managing the calves, started selling eggs out of her kitchen window adjacent to where she worked. By 1983 an opportunity to expand led to the restaurant opening in what is now the saddlery. The venture was hugely successful so in 1985 the old calf sheds were converted to form a larger new restaurant and farm shop. The old milking parlour was modified to form the butchery and the fields surrounding used to grow seasonal vegetables.
Originally from the Purbecks, the Richards Family started their tenancy on the Charborough Estate at Abbots Court Farm in 1869 with Henry Richards. It was in that same year that a fire destroyed their farm house and led to the family relocating to Chilbridge Farm on the Kingston Lacy Estate.
The Pamphill Parlour was originally built in the early 1800s and forms part of Chilbridge Farm which the Richards family have been farming since 1869. Before this date the Richards family farmed at Abbots Court on the Drax Estate but when their farmhouse burnt down a decision was made to move to Wimborne.
Fast forward 150 years and it is Henry’s great great grandson Bill that is farming the Chilbridge’s 1300 acres and the Richards’s family are Kingston Lacy’s longest serving tenants.
In 1983 the introduction of milk quotas meant that the milking parlour at Pamphill was no longer needed. The family horse and dog feed business was proving very successful and moved into some of the Pamphill buildings. The key for farming survival at this time was business diversification. The dairyman’s wife Joyce Cheater had been selling eggs from her kitchen window for some time and in 1984 a butcher’s opened in the renovated milking parlour, followed a year later by a farm shop in 1985 in the calving and rearing unit. A restaurant was opened in 1986 to coincide with the opening of Kingston Lacy House to the public.
Under the management of Bill and his wife Lulu, the business has diversified even more to include a selection of retail outlets ranging from antiques, picture framing, well being, upholstery, country gifts/interiors and also supports the local office of the LEAF Charity (Leukaemia).
Looking to the future, Bill and Lulu have a daughter and two sons to ensure the continuation of a successful and distinguished dynasty of Dorset Farmers.
G.H Richards Ltd | Registered Number: 531170 | VAT Number: 186 211 665
Registered Address: Chilbridge Farm, Wimborne, Dorset, England BH21 4DY